Home School Association
South Hills Home School Association has been established to enable parents and carers to become involved in both the social and educational life of the school.”
A wide enough brief, which gives us scope to do many things. In previous years the HSA has been responsible for:
- Organising events such as the Summer BBQ, Nearly New Sales, Easter Hunt and the Christmas Fair.
- Raising funds to provide equipment for the school, such as play equipment, TV, Interactive Computer screen and 2 Minibuses.
- Assist with running activities for the children such as the Easter Egg Hunt, Sports Days, Hay ride, Summer Fete.
- Coordination of parent help days e.g. the sensory garden & play area.
- Raising money for just causes – we have successfully run the MacMillan Cancer Support Coffee mornings for several years and have regularly raised over £200 which is donated directly to MacMillan.
It is commonly heard from parents that one of the things they love about the nursery schools is the environment and the nursery school community. It is these two elements that allow the nurseries to have activities such as the BBQ, summer fete and other events.
The facilities the nerseries offer and the willingness of parents to actively participate in supporting such ventures, provides a clear distinction above other nurseries. Similarly, there was a lot of positive feedback regarding the Christmas Fairs and Nearly New Sales stating that there were great atmospheres and fantastic quality items. All very positive stuff, but these events do not happen by themselves and it has been the efforts of the HSA to pull these things together for the enjoyment and benefit of all.
Charity Number: 1141458
Fundraising and how you can help
FUNDRAISING THUS FAR......
Before the HSA took on its charity status we started managing the original nursery minibus. We then replaced this with a fantastic new minibus since it was not only being used by the school in Wilton, but the other nurseries too, as well as for school farm visits and the After School Club. We then added a 2nd smaller minibus in 2016.
The Nearly New Sales were a real hit during the last couple of years which helped raise an average of £400/year. We have also run extremely fun and successful Easter Hunts where we had over 100 participants on some fabulous family fun-filled days. The Christmas Fair, Summer Fete & raffles are our biggest fundraisers.
WHERE DOES THIS MONEY GO...
The minibuses were obviously a huge purchase, which is something we couldn't have done without the support of parents and staff at South Hills! Also this support has helped to purchase many other resourses. Corsham are at present raising money to purchase an interactive computer desk.
How can you help?
Currently the team is very small, which limits what we can do. Clearly we are all volunteers, and have our own busy lives and therefore do not have unlimited hours to devote to the HSA. Our meetings are very informal and attendance is appreciated rather than expected. Each of us contributes what we can to forthcoming events, but no-one is asked to take on more than they are prepared to take on. But with more people, more can be shared out and more achieved.
There is no need to meet every week so dates of the next meeting will be communicated through the weekly newsletter/notice board. We appreciate though that people may be working full time or have other commitments which prohibit attending the meetings. We would love to build up a list of people that are willing to help out ad-hoc to support us. This could include things such as:
- being willing to bake a cake for sale at one of the events.
- helping out with some of the classroom activities such as preparing craft activities in your own time at home.
- being able to donate a couple of hours of your time to help set-up prior to an event.
- having experience of fund-raising and willing to contribute ideas and suggestions.
- having a particular skill or contacts that can be used by the HSA.
Thus, if you are willing to be someone we can call on, please give your name to your nursery manager. Alternatively, we would love to see you at one of the meetings. If all you can give is ideas, then we would love to hear them.